VYSA has issued RETURN TO PLAY GUIDELINES in conjunction with Virginia Phase 3. Among the information included in this document is the statement that “Per Virginia Governors Office, matches are permitted during Phase 3”. We reached out to NCSL, which has a seat on the Board of VYSA, and they confirmed this as well.
As we understand it, soccer was deemed an incidental contact sport. In addition, the CDC defines close contact for COVID-19 as “anyone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 48 hours before the person began feeling sick until the time the patient was isolated.” Given the duration component, playing outdoors and continuous player movement, we believe there is a minimal risk of COVID transmission.
Accordingly, VRSC will be moving forward with the Fall season and competitive play. A supplemental Waiver will be coming out clarifying processes and expectations moving forward. Some of the continued and/or new procedures will be:
- Daily health checks will be done before taking the field, but masks will not be required
- Players belongings will be spread 6 feet apart on the sidelines
- Team benches will be discouraged for this season and players will be encouraged and guided to maintain proper spacing between each other as much as possible during drills, on the sidelines and while receiving information.
- Coaches will have hand sanitizer on the sidelines for as players as they come off the field
- Players will be required to bring different color shirts or reversible pinnies to each practice or scrimmage in lieu of Club provided ones.
- Practices and training will minimize situations that result in “close contact” as defined by CDC.
We realize our families fall on a large continuum of COVID comfort and risk. For families that are ready to get “back to normal”, this is great news. For other families, this is scary. The best we can do as a Club is to set clear expectations and make sure our families are comfortable with their commitment. Any families that are not comfortable participating please let us know ASAP, so we can make sure we have enough players on each roster!
We are very excited to get back on the field with those that are ready!